Friday, July 31, 2020

Tribute to Teddy


Just before I turn into Jill's driveway at her cabin, I drive past Teddy's little estate. Years before I met her, I noticed all of the fun and interesting yard decorations she had. A tepee, so many beautiful flowers and artful pieces, but most interesting to me was an ancient, rusty wheelbarrow overflowing with marigolds and zinnias. So cheerful, so lovely. When my neighbors were ready to trash their old, rusty wheelbarrow a few weeks ago I came forward to rescue it. Then I found some clearance petunias at one of the local garden centers to plant in it after filling it up with potting soil. The petunias seem pretty happy so that makes me happy. A year and a half ago I learned that Teddy had died and was saddened by that news. She was a character and a patron of the arts, fond of wearing a cowboy hat and turquoise jewelry. She had more than one interesting career in her life and raised four children with a man she described as the love of her life. When we met she pointed out that our eyes were the same color, a dark olive green. Now I feel as though I look at the floral, wood, and rusty steel tribute to her in my backyard through her eyes. I like that, and I think that she would, too. Thanks, Teddy, for the inspiration. 

No comments: