Thursday, July 2, 2020

July

Welcome to my birthday month! I haven't quite gotten into the celebration spirit yet, normally I come out shouting on the first of July. And here I am on the second day, a mere week away from my natal day, finally getting around to proclaiming that it's time to get all celebratory about things. Here's what I've got so far...perhaps a pedi if my salon is open and doing all the proper stuff as far as masks and physical distancing are concerned, there's already a bottle of champagne in the beverage fridge with a fancier bottle or two likely to join it, my birthday buddy Jill will be showing up for a few days, there shall be fancy food to enjoy and some relaxing on the deck and around the firepit. If the weather chooses to not cooperate there are movies and popcorn for indoor entertainment. I am disappointed that my favorite lemon mascarpone cake is no longer available at a local eatery. I'll either have to figure out how to make something similar myself or move on to a different sweet birthday treat. It will be a quieter, more laid back observation of this trip around the sun. I have no party planned, cramming guests into a small space seems too risky at this stage of the pandemic. So. We'll save the big blowout for another year, another age. All I know is, I'm happy to be here even though the current state of the world and this country are dire and steeped in despair. When I blow out the candles on my cake this year, my wish will be much wider and more inclusive than it normally is. 2020 has not been the least bit normal thus far, we all need some healing and a few wishes coming true.

No comments: