Monday, July 6, 2020

New Tech Toy in the House

I have a new laptop. I'm typing on it right now. After seven and a half years of reliable use the HP Envy has been retired. Well, mostly reliable. The past four years have been a bit sketchy with heat shutdowns and dropping off the wifi for no apparent reason. The heat shutdown problem was mostly mitigated by blowing out all the vents and placing her on a cooling platform. The wifi fussiness I had no clue how to solve. Swearing didn't help. I'm keeping her around for uploading music off my CD collection, finding a new machine with a CD read/write drive was not looking good. So I focused on the things I just did not want to do without, a backlit keyboard, full numpad, and Windows in either the Pro or Home variety without the limiting S configuration. Oh, and one other thing. A slot for the SD card in my camera. This also proved difficult to find but the remedy was simple. My new laptop has a micro SD slot so I invested an extra fourteen bucks in a micro SD card with an adapter. So far I have managed to install my printer and clean up the desktop. I have tried to figure out how the photo management and editing program works but remain mystified. There will be time to master this new bit of magical hardware. Maybe Newton can help. He's way smarter than he lets on.  

No comments: