Saturday, February 22, 2020

Slàinte Mhath

Anyone who knows me will agree that I'm a fan of foreign language phrases and the accents that they are expressed in. Let's include the various accents from different areas of America as well! My full-blooded Norwegian-American mother managed to put on a pretty good American Southern accent at times using words and phrases she absorbed from my Mississippi-born father. These were colorful strings of words including the best of the four letter ones, usually employed for scolding my wayward siblings and myself for our less than appropriate behavior. Watching Outlander has provided me with my new favorite phrase, Slàinte Mhath! A toast meaning "to your health" in Scottish Gaelic, shouted out with gusto while raising a glass. It's pronounced slawn jevaa. I've been practicing. I can't wait until I have an opportunity to use it out among others. Suddenly I feel so in touch with my Scottish heritage. And now I can drink to it! Slàinte Mhath!

No comments: