Thursday, January 9, 2020

Half My Life Ago


I love, love, loved thirtysomething and watched it regularly during its 1987-91 run on ABC. I have the first season on dvd, but that didn't quell my sadness when it dropped off Netflix. I was also mystified as to why all the episodes were not available for streaming. I was told that it had to do with music clearance or somesuch licensing nonsense. But I digress. It seems that ABC is developing a sequel series based on the lives of the Steadman and Weston offspring, perhaps even dear departed Gary's daughter Emma. If I recall correctly, it was hinted that Melissa would have a child as well. Original series stars Ken Olin, Mel Harris, Patricia Wettig, and Timothy Busfield will appear in the reboot! I'm trying so hard not to expect much from this, but the creators and producers of the original are involved so that gives me hope. I was pregnant with my firstborn when thirtysomething debuted and felt so much in common with the characters who were struggling with the same issues I was. Critics called it angst among the thin and attractive but I didn't care. Parenting, career hurdles, marriage issues, and relationships with parents are things we all negotiate. I can't wait to see this!

No comments: