Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Robert Redford's Unmentionables

I have just watched, for I think the third time, the installment of Inside the Actors Studio that features Robert Redford. And as much as I enjoy his recounting of his life in the world of film, I remain mildly annoyed the he did not mention three of my favorite films that he appears in. The Hot Rock, Sneakers, and Three Days of the Condor. I remember reading at one time that Mr. Redford didn't really care for his performance in The Hot Rock, that he felt it was not his best work and preferred to be known for his more serious dramatic roles. Here's the deal, Bob. I happen to love this movie! It has an amazing helicopter flight scene where we can see the World Trade Center under construction! Regular visitors here know that seeing the World Trade Center in a film is a thing for me. Plus the movie gives us the phrase "Afghanistan Bananastan". What's not to like here?!? Sneakers boasts a remarkable ensemble cast that includes Mary McDonnell, Sidney Poitier, River Phoenix, David Strathairn, and Dan Aykroyd! No mention! And despite the fact that he spoke of numerous collaborations with director Sydney Pollack, he failed to mention Three Days of the Condor. Pollack directed this terrific thriller that must be seen. Must. Be. Seen. Actress Carlin Glynn is sitting in the front row during the interview and somehow I want her to shout out, "Bob! Remember what a great time we had working together on Three Days of the Condor!" But she doesn't. I understand Mr. Redford avoiding any mention of Legal Eagles. I'm already sorry I brought it up. All I know is, the man is brilliant both in front of and behind the camera. He is a legend. And I shall adore him from afar as long as I draw breath.  


No comments: