Friday, April 23, 2021

A Salute to Audrey Hepburn


I adore Audrey Hepburn. A couple of weeks ago I watched the documentary about her life on Netflix. She was a remarkably talented actress as well as a wonderful human. My favorite movies that she starred in are Breakfast at Tiffany's* and Two for the Road. She was luminous and the camera loved her. I was somewhat aware of her difficult youth but had no idea how much heartbreak she endured in her personal life and marriages. She did eventually find a good match as a life partner in Robert Wolders that lasted until her death in 1993. She was a devoted mother and sidelined her acting career to care for her new babies. What astonished me was that she was only 63 when she died. My current age! Sometimes I think we know on some level how long we will be here, and when that time is unnecessarily short we pack as much into that time as possible. Miss Audrey certainly did. There will never be another quite like her. Watch the documentary.   


*If only we could edit out the repulsive Mickey Rooney Asian slur character. He adds nothing to the story.


No comments: