Friday, January 25, 2019

Full Circle


It seems eons ago. A man I was mildly attracted to sang this song to me on karaoke night in one of the seediest bars in town. I was seated at the bar with a Boulevard wheat in front of me when he took the mic and started crooning. He was working the room as he sang and eventually got down on one knee in front of me just as he was belting the lyric ma'am I am tonight. Turned out that the moment he was kneeling that night was the peak of our short-lived, so-called relationship. I'm a process sort of girl so I need to let things run their course. Who knows why, to gather fodder for writing or because I'm not smart enough to run when the running's good. Fast forward to this last Wednesday evening when I was privileged to be in the room to hear a soulful rendition of Walking in Memphis from the man who wrote the song. Thank you, Marc Cohn. I can check you off my bucket list of artists I want to see live. You are part of the soundtrack of my life. Hearing you sing so many beautiful songs shook the dust off of a regrettable memory and shooed it out the door. I am forever grateful.

No comments: