Monday, April 17, 2023

National Poetry Month Offering #9

 Last Dance


I get this feeling

Lately

Since you came into my life

This may be my last chance

At love

At choosing wisely enough

At getting it right enough

That the effort will be worthwhile

I have dreams

That whisper

Around the edges

That feel so real, so comfortable

Old enough to be wise, we are

Still young enough, though

To live inside

The tangled fleshy ecstasy

Of each other

This combination

This we of you and me

Completely new

So headlong in I dive

Having never learned

Or understood the sense of

Holding back

Already knowing

If this is my last chance

I'll gladly risk it

On you


I remain astonished that I still believe in the power of romantic love, and hope I will experience it once more. I wrote this nine years ago after meeting a man I still feel genuine fondness for as well as an abiding connection to. He remains the only man I have met since I became newly single after my divorce that I felt I could be with long term. Though I very much doubt I will ever see him again, I still like the idea of him.

 

No comments: