Thursday, April 20, 2023

National Poetry Month Offering #11

 Soundtrack



My boys are noisy.

They sing, they hum, they tap.

They narrate the unfolding saga of the day

Involving firetrucks and Lego blocks,

Castles, cartoon characters,

Silly putty, super heroes, Dr. Suess.

Scientific experiments with illogical, questionable results.

I eavesdrop from the other room and smile in amazement

At the complicated stories

That bring their toys to life.

Though it’s naptime lunchtime bathtime

I hold back appearing at the door.

My detected presence interrupts the soundtrack,

Grinds it to a halt.

I wait a moment longer

Hoping he will come to me

For a drink, a hug, or a shoelace that need tying.

A brief pause for maintenance from mom.

This joyous noise ends all too soon without my help.

So I let it play on undisturbed,

Grateful that I retain the key

To enter into his world.


They grow up so fast. Yes, yes they do. Almost before your eyes. I learned early on to let those magical moments of childhood play out even if it meant some scheduled necessary thing was delayed. Because they grow up so fast.

 

No comments: