Wednesday, November 18, 2020

It's a Bloomin' Miracle


 Most every fall I can't resist picking up a mum plant, either from a garden center or grabbed from a colorful display on a grocery run. I find them to be a lovely pop of color indoors while everything outside is turning brown and looking generally sad. It's a lot of happy for around five bucks. Usually they end up in the compost after a couple of months once the blooms fade. This year I must have chosen a particularly hardy one, it was still full and leafy after it was finished flowering. So I kept on watering it and around the beginning of October I noticed a number of tight little buds amongst the spent blooms. Thinking that deadheading often encourages more flowering, I lopped off the old flowers. Just today I discovered five fresh new blooms had opened up! I've never had this happen before! Perhaps my thumb is just a bit less brown than usual. I appreciate a miracle of any size, especially in this freakish landscape that has been 2020.


No comments: