Monday, October 5, 2020

Happy Birthday, Grandpa


On the back of this photo, in Grandma Esther's handwriting, it says that this is Knut's birthday, October 5, 1962. Five year old me is sitting in Grandpa's lap, and older brother Scott is standing by holding what I presume is a birthday cake. Even though it looks like a hat. What I remember about my grandfather is a bit sketchy. It was difficult to talk to him because his hearing was failing and he would often turn off his hearing aids when there were lots of people in the room. I do remember him sitting in his recliner with a cloud of blue cigarette smoke surrounding him. When I was older, I realized he had a wonderful sense of humor. I remember his funeral. And that he loved Planter's dry roasted peanuts. He would have been 121 years old today. 


No comments: