Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Hot Time in the Neighborhood


A little after ten last night I happened to glance over to the living room window. And saw this. To be honest, I felt just a bit creepy and voyeuristic taking this picture from my front doorstep. Someone's home, their lives, altered forever by a destructive force. Eventually the flames shot up as high as the trees. There were occasional pops and hisses and flareups before the fire was under control, leaving an acrid smoky smell hanging in the air. I'm familiar with most of my neighbors but I don't know anyone on the far side of that block across the street. I can't help but wonder if people and pets escaped safely. The blue dot
on the map is approximately where my house is, the red X is the site of the fire. I was grateful for the safety of distance when I saw neighbors closer to the fire leave temporarily until danger was past. A little too close for comfort is all I have to say. Today the exterior of the house looks oddly intact though I expect the interior was completely gutted. Blow out the candles. Unplug the space heater. Be safe, children.


No comments: