Saturday, December 14, 2019

All It's Cracked Up To Be


Are all cracker assortments created equal? Not really, but these are pretty darn close. I happened upon the Trader Joe's version about a year ago and found them to be quite delicious. Since TJ's is an hour round trip from here, when their assortment box of crackers was gone, I opted for the King Sooper's version which is only two blocks away. Three of the four varieties are the same, with TJ's fourth being a cracked pepper crisp and KS's Private Selection is a buttery round cracker. People go crazy for Trader Joe's private brands and sometimes try to discover their sourcing to find a substitute. I'm guessing these crackers roll out of the same factory and get packaged in slightly different boxes. If pressed to choose a favorite, the cracked pepper crisp tilts my preference toward the TJ's assortment while availability pushes me toward the Private Selection box. The thing is, TJ's cracker assortment is about two bucks cheaper than the local one! I won't make the trip just for the crackers, but now I buy two boxes when I do go with a longer shopping list. Wine and cheese are made that much better a pairing when you have the right cracker. Not to mention a little tuna or egg salad on the veggie variety. I'm stopping now. 

No comments: