Sunday, October 7, 2018

Fair Warning

Sometimes you are given fair warning and you don't pay attention. For instance, I was looking for a movie to watch on Netflix last night, and something called Message in a Bottle caught my eye. Hmmm. Robin Wright and Paul Newman, good. Kevin Costner and from the novel by Nicholas Sparks, bad. I watched anyway even though it was predictable and mostly stupid. I knew how it would end before the halfway mark. Paul Newman stole every scene he was in. Robin Wright is beautiful and luminous and you see every emotion as it crosses her face. Kevin Costner, as always, easy on the eyes but wooden , if amiable. Turns out, my fave part of the movie was in the first half hour.


In the background during the scene when Theresa meets Garret for the first time, we see a boat named Carla-Ann. Which is almost my name. If you do a little editing. Squeeze the letters J and E in right after the hyphen and drop the final N. Thusly, Carla-JeAnn. Close enough. It's movies like this that make romance suck. I can't not recommend it enough.

No comments: