Monday, August 28, 2017

Why the Jazz Hands?


Judging by the fact that I'm wearing my Eagles tshirt, acquired when I saw them in 1995, and that my left hand ring finger is sporting my wedding band as well as my anniversary ring, I'm guessing this may be the summer of 1996. Mom had sent me stained glass chili peppers for my birthday, so instead of hanging them in a window to catch and color the light as intended, I attached them to wires and hung them on my ears. Just for fun. And posed for a photo, a print of which I mailed to Mom with a thank-you note for the lovely earrings she gave me for my birthday. Assuming that I'm an idiot, which I have been at various times, she responded with a letter explaining that they were not earrings, but sun-catchers, meant for home decor purposes, not meant for use as personal ear adornment devices. Ya dumb girl, she wrote, not getting that it was a joke. Good thing, too, as they were ridiculously heavy and my grin is part grimace due to that fact. I still have them, though I have not accessorized with them since this photo was snapped. They are located in the sun room, grouped with other desert-southwest-themed trinkets. File this under my often misunderstood sense of humor. 

No comments: