Monday, August 21, 2017

Post-Eclipse Ruminations

It's just killing me that last night I drove through the Wyoming path of eclipse totality and didn't stop for the night so I could experience that very thing today. Viewing at home was predicted at about 94% and I incorrectly thought that would be much more significant than it was. It seems that even 99% doesn't compare with totality. Well, damn. What I did experience was interesting, though. For about 15 minutes there was a weird, twilightish glow outdoors and inside the house the light level was similar to that of near sundown. Crickets chirped, the breeze died down, and there was a definite drop in temperature. Even with the long lead time to the event, I neglected to obtain eclipse glasses so that I could view what was going on up in the sky. I was watching NASA's coverage online and the diamond ring effect was spectacular! I continued to listen to NPR's coverage into the afternoon. Making plans for 2024 now! With seven years of prep time, maybe I'll get it right. 

No comments: