Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Thank You, Mr. Williams

Last night around this time Reid emerged from his basement lair to announce that Robin Williams had died. Yeah, his online bio is already past tense. It hardly seems possible. Twenty-four hours later, after seemingly constant news updates and reading several articles about his life and career, it still doesn't seem real. Suicide always leaves so many impossible to answer questions. I can only imagine the anguish and pain that caused this celebrated, remarkably talented, uniquely funny man to take his own life. If I'm overly sad over the death of someone I never met I expect I have a great deal of company. Robin Williams possessed an everyman quality that made him come across from the screen in such a personal way. It made him believable and accessible. I wonder what made him laugh in the way he made us laugh. And for me, that was face down on the table, weeping and snorting. 

No comments: