Saturday, March 15, 2008

Wildflowers & Higher Education

I uncorked a bottle of J Lohr Wildflowers about an hour ago. Then I chatted with Colleen about the house and moving progress. I am now on my second glass of this lovely and very reasonably priced red wine. And I can still type! And I was thinking about wine and higher education. And you may possibly be wondering why anyone would make such an association. Well. My wonderful and most brilliant son who is attending SDSU is fortunate enough to have a healthy chunk of his schooling paid for with scholarship dollars. And the bulk of those dollars are generously contributed by The Lohr Foundation. Think about it. Every single time I have purchased a bottle of J Lohr wine in the last, actually, the number of years isn't all that important in the cosmic scheme of things, few years, which is quite a few bottles, even before I gave birth to my son, I was making an investment in his future education! Was that a run-on sentence? I believe it was. Although a reasonably coherent one. I went shopping in SF this afternoon. I did not purchase any wine but I did buy two pairs of shoes, one on sale, one on clearance. Anything to make my cranky feet happy. And now I have this amazing little wire with a headphone-size jack on each end. I plug one end into the center console in the car, plug the other end into my iPod (which I do know how to program all by myself, thank you), hit the Aux button on the dash, and magically, music I have loaded onto the iPod plays out of the stereo speakers in the car!!! This I find completely amazing. And very cool. So I would like to share with you the frequency of artists, as best as my whacked short-term memory can reconstruct, for the approximately two hours I spent in the car.

  • Eric Clapton, 3
  • The Eagles, 3
  • Hank Harris, 4, one of them was a Red Willow tune
  • Abby SomeOne, 5
  • Sheryl Crow, 2
  • Bonnie Raitt, 1
  • Bering Strait, 1
  • Little Shop of Horrors soundtrack, 1
  • Lyle Lovett, 1
  • The Beatles, 1
  • John Lennon, 1
  • Heart, 1
  • Jennifer Warnes, 1
  • Sarah MacLachlan, 1
  • Tim Buckley, 1
Which makes me wonder about the randomness of the shuffle setting. And how random it truly is. Then I think about the Eisenberg uncertainty principle and if somehow the fact that I'm listening alters the playlist. I'm going to avoid thinking for the rest of the evening and see if I can manage to stay up and watch the Red Willow 30th Reunion Concert on public TV. It's only forty minutes away. I think I'm up for it.

No comments: