Sunday, May 1, 2011

Party Lights!!

I just knew I'd figure out something to do with all those Blue Moon Oregon Riesling bottles! I regularly buy this wine and just couldn't throw out the pretty bottles it was packaged in. I love cobalt glass and I started collecting it several years ago. The collection started out with, surprise, a very tall interesting looking wine bottle. It contained pinot grigio, which I wasn't familiar with, but for ten bucks I didn't care what was inside! Yes, the bottle was that cool. And the pinot grigio turned out to be quite tasty. Win, win. I know, I said party lights. Plural. This is the only one completed so far. I intend to make eight all together unless I happen to shatter any of them during the hole drilling process! Four remain to be drilled which is more laborious than I anticipated. I'm using a half inch diamond tipped hole saw in my drill and it takes about ten minutes for me to accomplish. The curved surface of the bottle is tricky to get the hole started, then gentle pressure at high speed to get through. I discovered after stuffing the light string in this first one that it's necessary to thoroughly rinse the bottle afterwards to clean out the dust from drilling it. Then I taped off the edges of the hole with tiny strips of blue duct tape, I had used a sanding sponge to take any sharp edges off the opening but felt that wasn't enough. Onward to stuffing a 20 light string into the bottle, then poking some frou-frou in the top. Plug in and say oooooh and ahhhhhh. This girl knows how to have fun on a Sunday afternoon!

No comments: