Sunday, June 7, 2009

Down at Championship Vinyl

[ HIGH FIDELITY POSTER ]

If you click over to my profile, you will see that this is one of my favorite movies. And on a cold, rainy Sunday evening, what's better than a favorite movie? I love John Cusack. And perhaps even more, I love his sister, Joan Cusack. She is just so damn good it's magickal. I love this movie because it's a romantic comedy. But yet it isn't. It's messy and complex and so much like real life. It doesn't have a storybook ending but it's hopeful. It's so interesting how John's character, Rob, breaks the fourth wall and speaks directly to us. Kind of refreshing and very engaging how natural it feels for him to let us in on what's going on in his head without a tedious voice over and some hokey montage. And it has a terrific soundtrack. Oh. And there's the brilliant Jack Black. Finally, I get the biggest kick out of the fact that our leading couple are named Rob and Laura.

2 comments:

Tantra Flower said...

I love that movie!!! You're the second person on my reading list that has posted about it today, which is a cool coincidence.

I love the book more, actually, but the movie is very good. Stephen Frears is one of my very favorite directors ever (have you seen The Grifters?) and overall they did a great job of taking the story from London to Chicago. And, yes, John Cusack is a very talented person. :)

Bellona of Avalon said...

Must have been a HF kind of day. I have not read the book, I know it's one of those I'll run across and purchase and add it to the pile on my nightstand.

I have seen The Grifters, and it is excellent, though difficult to watch in parts. Annette Bening is remarkable.