Sunday, June 14, 2009

Disco Diana

I am being punished. You know how sometimes when part of a song gets stuck in your head? And it's not even a song that you like, or one with which you have a significant memory association. It's just there. Repeating over and over again. You can block it for a while, but it returns. The psychological term for this fascinating phenom is perseveration. A thought or memory or gesture that is there and recurring with no obvious stimulation to induce it. Diana Ross' unfortunate 1980 foray into disco, Upside Down, is running through my brain. Not the whole thing, just part of the first verse and the chorus. Definitely not supreme. It has been suggested that the perseveration cycle can be broken if the entire song is sung out loud. So, if you happened to drive past my house this evening, the windows are open. If you heard some disco-like caterwauling, it was me. Engaging in therapeutic disco exorcism. I sincerely hope you did not call the authorities. Thank you.

6 comments:

Cuzn said...

Greetings and salsa. I left my addy on ASO if you're still interested.

Bellona of Avalon said...

I sent you a test email there, did it show up? clyde19ft@hotmail.com, right?

Tantra Flower said...

Did it work? Please tell me it did because if so then there is hope for me.

You know those top five lists that people keep doing on Facebook? Well my friend Will, a huge music geek, like me X 100!, keeps doing these top five lists about music and tried to convince me to do my own top five. So, I thought it would be hilarious if did a "top five greatest songs ever written" and include really ridiculous songs like "Muskrat Love" and "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep". I never got around to actually doing it, but I've had my third choice, that godawful theme from Tootsie, "It Might Be You" by Stephen Bishop stuck in my head ever since. I've been living in a secret hell! At this point I'll try anything to get rid of it... I'm off to find the lyrics and sing the entire song now. I'll let you know if it works!

Ed said...

When that happens to me I just put my head down and run full speed into the nearest tree. Works.

Cuzn said...

Checked my email and didn't see anything, Tink. Looking very quickly, I did delete something I hadn't recognized from my junk inbox earlier today. You could try again; you've got the right addy.

Anonymous said...

LED line lights have also become hugely popular for household usage.

4 (blue) - to enhance wisdom and imagination, emotions,
calm the anger. Light fixtures like floor lamps and chandeliers come in
a wide variety.

Here is my website :: LED Wandleuchten