Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sunday Muffins

Yes, it is possible to put too many blueberries in the muffins. The yummy factor is significantly increased, but be warned. Blueberries are not an appropriate structural material. In fact, the structural integrity of the muffin is so very compromised that the muffin must be eaten on a plate with a fork. If I had lacked the foresight to use paper liners in the muffin pan, they would not have come out in one piece. I must admit that I used paper liners because I am lazy. Paper liners minimize the clean-up and you do not have to spend a tedious thirty seconds to grease the wells with cooking spray. You, too, can make these wonderful muffins! The recipe follows. I try to offset the healthful effects of the oatmeal by sprinkling a half teaspoon or so of raw granulated sugar on the top of each muffin before baking. This results in a lovely, crunchy crown.

Blueberry Muffins

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 beaten egg
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup blueberries

Stir together the buttermilk and oatmeal and allow to sit for an hour before proceeding. You can also do this step the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Cream together the butter and brown sugar, then add the egg, then the buttermilk/oatmeal mixture. Stir together the dry ingredients and fold into the batter. Add blueberries. Spoon into muffin pan, I strongly recommend paper liners! Bake for 25 minutes at 375. Makes one dozen. Enjoy.

Yes, I have the pink phone. And I have received my first call on it! Last night from the 15yo son who needed a ride home. From now on I shall curb the urge to list pink things. Although I don't know how I could have possibly forgotten the pink straw cowboy (cowgirl?) hat.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When the structure fails, a very large spoon and a small pail will help you through the crisis. The food will still taste good. I just might try your recipe.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, is beating food socially acceptable? Or criminal. I hate trouble and avoid it like I avoid political discussions with Bill O'Reilly.

Bellona of Avalon said...

Beating your food is fine. Eggs and cream in particular are used to it. I would at all cost avoid any sort of meat beating to remain in the realm of social acceptability. In any case, meat beating would more correctly be referred to as tenderizing.

Bellona of Avalon said...

I am ever so happy you found that amusing. In the future perhaps all etiquette questions should be referred to Miss Manners, or at least someone more qualified than me.