Thursday, February 1, 2007

The Naming of Bellona

So she thinks she's a goddess, huh? Well, yeah. So are you, if you happen to have ovaries. Or if you currently don't possess these body parts, being born with them is just fine. I thought I would explain the title of my blog and the name I write under. So here goes. In 1999, I read Marion Zimmer Bradley's epic The Mists of Avalon. If you haven't read this book, it's the feminist, revisionist take on the Arthurian legend, told from Morgana's point of view. I absolutely loved it and became fascinated with the early Britons, their matriarchal culture and pagan religious practices. So I started reading about and researching Celtic spirituality and found something that spoke to me on many levels. The goddess rules! One of the most wonderful aspects of Celtic spirituality is the idea that all women are comprised of three aspects, that of a warrior, a goddess, and a mother. And the wise and astute woman knows which of the three aspects to use to her advantage in any situation. We are all warriors as we go forth in this modern world to accomplish daily tasks with strength and confidence. We are all goddesses within who can revel in the physical pleasures of life and love as well as rise above in matters of the spirit. Every woman is considered to be a mother regardless of whether she has given birth. There are the children of our wombs and the children of our hearts, all of whom need love and guidance. After a couple of years of immersion in Celtic spirituality I felt it was time to choose a goddess name, one that represents me as I currently am and also has attributes I would like to embrace. I chose the Scottish name Bellona, which is derived from the Celtic goddess Badb. She is represented by the waning moon and the she-wolf. Other attributes ascribed to this goddess are regeneration, protection, and the ability to shape-shift. These attributes and representations are meant to be taken in a spiritual and metaphorical sense rather than a literal one. I can't actually shape-shift into a she-wolf. But there are times it would be handy for warrior aspect activities. And cool. So I read a book and got in touch with my inner goddess. I like having her around. I like knowing that she was always there even before I named her.

No comments: