Saturday, February 17, 2007

My Fake Boyfriend

He's getting a little uppity because I don't seem to take our fake relationship as seriously as he would like me to. Let me introduce to you my fake boyfriend, "Blind Orange" Julius. Some people have imaginary friends. I have a fake boyfriend. He's much lower maintenance than any real boyfriends I've had, so that's a point in his favor. It's not a deeply satisfying relationship, but as fake relationships go, at least we're calling it what it is and subsequently have few expectations. Although I am a little miffed that I received no fake Valentines from him last week. Not that I made any sort of fake effort on his behalf. BOJ and I met way back in August of 2004 at the open mic at Cheers in Rapid City, SD. The primary things I remember about making his acquaintance are that he was impressed that I knew that zymology is the science of brewing beer and that I told a very funny story involving the word weeniecheeks. I'm not sure about the spelling but I remember very clearly that upon hearing the word BOJ narrowly avoided spewing beer out from his nose. He was in a band called Patient 957 and he and bandmates and various other characters were seated together swilling beer and doing other guy stuff. I was the only feminine person at the table and they did little to alter their guy behavior in my presence. I took this as a sign that they trusted me and had included me in their little club. It was an odd evening for me, I was there with my real boyfriend, and it was all a little awkward because both of us were married at the time. But to people other than each other. I decided to have a good time anyway and consumed a couple of Boulevards. Told a couple of amusing stories. Was generally my charming and disarming self. Little did I know that later I would track down BOJ, first on the AcrossRoads website, and then later at The Globex Corporation Newsletter. I posted comments and he soon determined I was someone he knew. Sometime last fall we became involved in this fake relationship, so here and now I would like to officially acknowledge BOJ as my fake boyfriend. I post on his blog as that1gal, and I suppose that's who I will always be to him. I'm currently torn as to whether I can continue with the stress of living a double, or maybe more correctly, a triple life. There are also those who know me as Tink, but I tink that's all I should say for now.

2 comments:

Blind Orange Julius said...

We didn't change our behavior because none of us were any good with women. That's why we were playing music, using up the time that wasn't spent on male/female interaction.

The three (later four) of us had lots of time to work on our music.

And drink beer.

And generally act like asses.

Anonymous said...

Get a room you two... this lovesick drivel makes me wanna urp.

Quinn