Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The Monkeys in My Head

I have been informed that the probable cause of my unique personality is that I have an infestation of monkeys. In my head. When I'm behaving myself, it would seem that the monkeys are in their cages napping. When I'm being outrageous, apparently the monkeys are all running loose creating all sorts of mayhem in my brain, thereby causing my aberrant behavior. This theory, which would be difficult to prove, makes a lot of sense to me. But then, I have monkeys on my brain. At the moment they're rather calm. But I'm just guessing. I wonder if I actually have conscious control over these monkeys or if they just do as they please and my outward state is an indication of the monkey activity within. Hmmm. What many people don't realize is that I actually edit myself. I don't say all the wacky things that fly by in fits of fancy (flying monkeys?), I pause to read the room before I speak aloud. It may be possible that what I express is just off-center enough that people are given cause to think that I just let those monkeys run free all the time. Let me offer my own assessment of this monkey theory, but please keep in mind that I'm formulating these thoughts with a brain that is riddled with monkeys. The monkeys have cages. Comfy cages with blankies and pillows and access to food and water, and I would hope, toilet facilities. Although the lack of such facilities would explain a fair amount of my thought processes! These are well-cared for monkeys who are loved and have lots of toys to play with. They run free because even if the cages had locks they would be able to escape anyway, they're a wiley lot these monkeys in my head. Their behavior is sometimes altered depending on how much caffeine, sugar, alcohol or chocolate I have consumed. Because of my feminine brain physiology, hormones and emotions play a significant role in the monkey activity. Occasionally the monkeys get all worked up over a movie I've watched, music I've heard, or an article or book I've read. Sometimes the monkeys get all hopped up for no apparent reason. That, it seems, is when I feel compelled to write. For the moment, the monkeys are quite docile, much like Newton and Einstein who are napping nearby. The boys seem to have forgiven me for the trip to the vet yesterday. Either that or their monkeys are napping, too.

4 comments:

Blind Orange Julius said...

Shoot me an email when the monkeys start flinging feces...

Bellona of Avalon said...

Let me get this straight. You want a personal message from me when my brain is filthy?

Anonymous said...

I know that at work your monkeys do not pause for long, and somtimes i can egg those monkeys on. and you love it.
What would you do with out me?

Tammy.

Bellona of Avalon said...

Tammy is a very bad girl. She teases my monkeys and gets them all riled up. The monkeys want coffee now.