Sunday, November 12, 2023

Lost and Found Dept

I am directionally impaired. This is not a good handicap to have. When I bought my Outback, I was delighted to find that a direction readout was on the rearview mirror. At last! A directional aid that will prevent me from getting lost! It hasn't quite worked out that way. But it does help me get back to where I was and take, usually the opposite, the correct turn. In Colorado it was easy. The mountains are west. Wherever you are, the Rocky Mountains indicate which way is west. Out here, it's less clear. I can't seem to get my bearings! Maybe it's because Interstate 5 runs mostly east/west across the north side of town.Then it more or less takes a sharp turn south on the western side of town. Then there's all the water making it so that you can't get there from here. At least not in anything resembling a straight line. The thing is, I have lived most of my life out on the Great Plains. Where you can see things from a great distance. Makes it obvious. I like things to be obvious. Then this poem was featured on The Writer's Almanac a few days ago. It describes perfectly how I feel about directions and my wavering ability to go in the correct one. Aside from that, at least there's Google maps on my phone. And I still swear by this.

 
 

No comments: