Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Sixty-Two and Counting

The year? 1979. Doing my Gilda Radner impersonation. These were the dark days, children, before hair products existed that could tame the frizz and curls and make them more attractive and approachable. God knows what might be nesting in that hair. Forty years later, I am cheerfully embarking on FYC 62. My hair is tamer now. My little sis is 57 this year, which means my birth year is her age and vice versa. After a quick Google search, the thing I find most interesting about 62 is that it is the sum of the faces, edges, and vertices of an icosahedron or a dodecahedron. Also, it is the number of faces of two of the Archimedean solids, the rhombicosi dodecahedron and the truncated icosidodecahedron. I do find mathematics fascinating. Oh, and if you want to direct dial Indonesia, you need to know that 62 is their international code. And I now qualify to collect Social Security. Though I won't apply yet, each year I wait means that I get a larger benefit. Happy birthday to me! I was born on a Tuesday and this year I celebrate on a Tuesday. Maybe there's something mystical and magical about that, maybe not. I'm going with the maybe, mostly because I'm one of those eternal optimist sort of people.

No comments: