Monday, October 1, 2012

Herstory

Don't make any attempt to escape your history. Ever. It catches up with you and solidly bites you in the butt. Case in point. I attended a farewell party on Friday night for Kara and Andrew with Miss Aundrea. Kara and Andrew and Kara's kitten, Kava, have now safely arrived in Boulder, CO and are probably trying to figure out which box the toilet paper is in. But I digress. The history part. While I did directly meet Aundrea and Andrew through my son and DIL and their friends, I did not know anyone else at the party with the exception of Kara. Are you still with me? I realize this is a bit over-long and I do apologize. The point is, there was someone at the party, when he was introduced to me, remarked, hey! you're Mike's mom! For my entire existence I have been defined as fill-in-the-blank's sister, daughter, mom, wife, girlfriend, aunt, friend. This sort of thing used to seriously annoy me. Because being identified so somehow robbed me of my own identity. I expect becoming a mother is what altered my point of view. Maybe because I was creating some history with the birth of my sons. I now delight in being referred to with a description of my relationship to another human. I like the inclusive feel of my connectedness to others, it enhances my identity. Aundrea has created a flow chart to explain how she knows a new friend. Which makes me want to set up an enormous white board with me in the center with all my friends and loved ones radiating out in expanding circles. I am Mike's mom! And Reid's mom and Edna's daughter and Martine's sister. This is my history. I couldn't have a destiny without it.


4 comments:

colleen said...

So this confirms it.
I am the crazy cat lady!

Bellona of Avalon said...

The official definition of "crazy cat lady" is still in the works. It depends on how many cats are actually living in the house with you, so there is a formula that you apply to determine the cats per square foot density ratio.

Also, nearly all definitions have said crazy cat lady as single, more often widowed than divorced, but we do not rule out the never married, or, Old Maid designation.

As a married woman, Colleen, I regret to inform you that due to this fact you fall outside the determinant parameters.

In other words, you might be crazy, you certainly have many cats, but until you are single and have a litter box the size of a kiddie wading pool, you will not qualify as a crazy cat lady.

And, yes, I have given this way too much thought.

AndiBean said...

I absolutely love this. Glad to be your inspiration :)

Bellona of Avalon said...

:-)