Sunday, July 29, 2018

Brooching the Subject

In recent news it has been speculated that Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II of England, may be sending subliminal messages with her choice of jewelry. Specifically, brooches. Madeleine Albright, former US Secretary of State, has admitted that she has done the same. I have decided to emulate them.


I have a ridiculous amount of bling, some pieces are precious, some have mostly sentimental value, most of it I actually wear.


Looking more closely, many of the brooches have a holiday theme. It may come in handy to wear them out of season to convey a message. Many of my pins are not on display here, some of them have taken up permanent residence on my jean jacket or other outerwear. I'm still a teensy bit disappointed that the elder son didn't pledge the engineering fraternity that he was invited to join when he was in college. It was totally self-centered. I wanted him to join because you got a really cool pin along with membership. I wanted to swipe it and wear it! 


Let's zoom in even closer and take a look at my favorite. See the little insect with the pink pearly stone?


Yes, that one. It was one of a set of three bug pins that belonged to my mother. Insect inspired costume jewelry was all the rage in the 1950's, and has recently become popular again. I think I ought to wear this one when I don't want people to bug me. Or perhaps to express that I think they should take a flying leap. This could be a whole lot of fun. 

No comments: