Sunday, January 6, 2013

I Love You, Jenny Lawson


Last week I finished reading Let's Pretend This Never Happened, written by blogger Jenny Lawson. I loved it! I doled out the last few chapters to myself at the rate of two pages per day. Three if I had been really, really good. Yesterday afternoon I thought of Jenny while browsing about in Zandbroz Variety in downtown Sioux Falls. I came across this antique taxidermied mink and was seized with the desire to purchase it and send it to her. As other fans of her writing have done. I wound up thinking it would be just plain weird to spend $150 on a gift for someone I don't know. Not to mention the problems Jenny has experienced getting packages properly delivered to her rural Texas home. Not knowing her address to begin with also complicates this matter. But if I had bought the mink, I certainly would not have sent it in its uncostumed, unaccessorized state. I would have dressed her (and I don't actually know the sex of this specimen, so if it's a guy mink he's just going to have accept being forced into the role of a cross-dresser) up as a ballerina. Complete with a pink tulle tutu and a tiny bejeweled tiara. I know Jenny would have loved it and would have christened him/her with a suitable name, and I do hope the name would have included a title. Sadly, I must admit one more thing. I have to consciously will myself to not read Jenny's blog. Because I'm like a sponge and fear I will adopt her writing style! Not 100% and not right away, but it would, I'm certain, creep in and take over. She's just that funny and just that good! Stylish plagiarism may be the sincerest form of flattery but I'm guessing it won't get me any closer to my own book deal. Surmised the girl who hadn't budgeted for a stuffed mink.

No comments: