Saturday, August 29, 2009

Barbie & Me


Isn't she gorgeous? Well, she oughta be, it's her name. Happy Birthday Gorgeous, Pink Label Collection Barbie. Just scored in the Wal-Mart clearance aisle for eight bucks. Eight bucks! She retails for $24.99 and is priced at various Barbie Collector sites from $30 to $55. I'm not a serious Barbie collector, just dealing with a minor childhood abandonment issue. Since we moved frequently, our belongings were regularly sorted through and what wasn't kept was either given away or tossed in the trash. I'm not sure which move it was, but the major Barbie stash my sister and I had amassed was just gone. Gone. We had dolls, pink kitchen appliances, carrying cases, oodles of clothes, and my personal favorite, a totally bald Barbie that came with three wigs. A short, red curly one, a long brunette pageboy, and a shoulder length blonde flip. Why do I remember this so clearly? Why is this detailed information taking up precious space in my already clogged-up perimenopausal brain? At any rate, possibly to ease this Barbie-less pang within, I started buying Barbie dolls and accessories again a few years ago. Always on sale or at clearance prices, naturally. I currently have seven dolls, including Happy Birthday Gorgeous, Halloween 2008, and Mariposa Fairy Barbie. The other four are lounging around the pool. I never identified with Barbie as a role model, nor was I intimidated by her humanly impossible-to-attain figure. She was just a doll to play with who had a lot of shoes. And seriously weird feet. That's it! I felt a kinship with her over her painfully perpetually arched feet! Having flat feet with congenital bunions, I was oddly out-footed as well. We're social outcasts, Barbie and me, due to our podiatric anomolies. No wonder I love her.

2 comments:

Ed said...

Mmmmm....Barbie. Oh no, did I say that out loud?

Bellona of Avalon said...

I think you just thought it loud enough that it seemed like you said it out loud. That's okay. You're allowed a Barbie fantasy.