Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bonus Day

I know, I know, tomorrow really isn't an extra day. It's just this anomaly that occurs once every four years because our method of chronicling time doesn't quite jibe with the way our planet circumnavigates our central star. But I'm going to treat it like a bonus day anyway. Not sure what I'll do besides the usual get up and go to work. I don't have anything out of the ordinary planned. Maybe just approach it with a greater awareness than usual that all we really have is today. Sometimes a day peaks early, like yesterday. The best thing that I remember about yesterday is that waking up was easy, not the groggy, foggy transition I usually experience. And the coffee, for whatever reason, smelled and tasted so much more wonderful than usual. I stood leaning up against the counter by the sink with my hands wrapped around the cup. Not yet sipping, just holding the cup right up under my nose and taking in that rich and pungent fragrance. Letting my brain savor the scent before I sip. Because it never smells quite the same after you begin to drink it. The taste bud sensations overtake the olfactory input and that moment is over. Drinking the coffee is good, but I almost always do the nose ritual before I consume. Nothing like a little foreplay with the Folgers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every couple of years I have some Cognac. It will usually last at last four hours. This is due to my nose. Nice mellow buzz from huffing. Maybe good coffee should be served in a ceramic snifter. What do you think?

Bellona of Avalon said...

I like big mugs, they provide a good surface area to volume ratio. I think a ceramic snifter would be one of those travel mugs that gets narrow at the top. Probably not enough surface area to satisfy me, even though the whole point to the narrow opening of a snifter is to concentrate the aroma. Next time we are together, let's drink some cognac. Didn't you drink cognac to cure your spider bite?