Monday, July 7, 2008

Movement

Several days ago I was heading down the basement steps. My son inquired as to what I was doing. I replied that I was on my way to the laundry room to move the laundry around. I don't know why I phrased it that particular way, although it does seem a little odd to say that I was doing laundry. Because the washer and the dryer actually do the laundry, I merely show up to move it. Wet or dry, dirty or clean, I move it along to the next appropriate step in the process. Hey, it's not like I haul the socks and undies, sheets and towels, t-shirts and jeans down to the river and beat them on rocks. I just move it around. And when prompted into a bit of thoughtful literalness by the 16yo's question, I prompted in him an unexpected revelation. He laughed heartily as he followed me into the laundry room. I often don't have a clue as to why what I have said is found hysterically funny by one of my sons. But this time I truly did not fathom the hilarity of my comment. What is so funny, I asked. And he replied, with a knowing gleam in his eye, THAT'S WHAT WE DO!! THAT'S ALL PEOPLE DO, SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME! WE MOVE STUFF AROUND! Giving this profound statement a moment's thought, I realized that he is right. Pretty much every activity humans engage in involves in moving stuff around. Granted, the results and the relative scale and speed and method and the societal impact of moving said stuff varies to a tremendous degree. If we're not directly involved in moving stuff, we're probably observing or discussing the movement of stuff. Fascinating. Moving stuff. That's what we do. And aren't we good at it!

3 comments:

Deanna said...

I read this while waiting for my 14 yo to eat breakfast (move cereal from box to bowl and so on) so we can go move dirt!

Anonymous said...

The creation of "flat spots" had a lot to do with "moving stuff around".
The very first "flat spot" was probably covered with junk in about two minutes. What would happen to "civilization" if a mass disappearance of "flat spots" occurred?

Bellona of Avalon said...

Complete global discombobulation, I should think.