Monday, May 5, 2008

Parking

Let me just say that I am not a competitive person. For the most part. That is to say, in most respects. There are two areas in which the killer instinct emerges from deep within my warrior aspect and takes over my usually calm demeanor. Backgammon. Which is understandable. Backgammon is a ground (so to speak) acquisition game of strategy, requiring steely nerves and calling your opponent's bluff. Also a little luck involving the rolling of the dice and internally screaming the word "boxcars!!". I have also been known to utter out loud the phrase, baby needs new shoes, although I haven't the foggiest of ideas what that means. I delight in stranding my adversary on the bar and denying him re-entry to play with a completely filled inner table. And while a competitive spirit is an appropriate component when playing a game, it's a little weird when hunting down a prime parking space. Yes, I admit it. I am a competitive parker. I take glee in scoring an excellent parking space no matter what sort of lot I'm in. Grocery store, mall, restaurant, movie theater, it doesn't matter. At the mall, a good parking spot is a sign of good shopping karma...I am sure to locate and procure at bargain prices most if not all items on my list. A good spot in the grocery lot merely means that I will have to lug or push my purchases the shortest possible distance to the car. A great parking spot when in the pursuit of dinner or entertainment ensures my appetites will be satisfied. Parking. A favorite competitive sport I thoroughly enjoy participating in. Sometime I'll have to try playing backgammon in the car. In a very choice parking space.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

I've been having amazing results manifesting parking spaces. I know the rage, though.

Anonymous said...

I like to hang around the Wally World parking lot as it is the most berserk one in town. Especially fun on the motorcycle!