Sunday, February 12, 2023

Puzzling

I was optimistic about having some sort of social life when I moved here because I had two women friends in the area, both of whom I have known for well over ten years. The first I have not seen one single time in the nearly seven years since I became a Colorado resident. Even though more than once I have extended invitations to her to get together, and also invited her to soirees at my home. She has politely declined all of them. We remain friendly on the social media, I have no indication of why she has pulled back from seeing me in person. The second, whom I met through the first, I have seen one time. I was recently reminded of that occasion when a facebook memory popped up with a photo of us together. Just like with the other friend, I have extended numerous invitations, none of which she accepted. I can't help but feel that things are a little chilly between us but I can't really say why. I didn't expect either of them to drop everything and be my bestie. All I hoped for was to meet them for a drink or coffee or maybe to attend an event together on occasion. Or to have them over to see my cozy home that I have come to love. I have long since given up on ever seeing them. I can't say I'm terribly sad, I have moved on and accepted that whatever is going on in their lives doesn't leave room for me. The pandemic, you say? This disengagement happened well before Covid-19 descended upon the land. People have the right to change their minds about all sorts of relationships and to keep company with those they feel most attached to or have the most in common with. I know that I have let go of people at times. Most of the time through neglect on both sides, until it simply feels weird to be the first one to reach out. So here I am perhaps two weeks away from leaving here, moving out of state for a number of reasons. Mostly to be closer to my elder son and darling dilly. A little sad for the couple of people here that I have become great friends with. But just like the friends I was sad to leave behind in South Dakota, many have come to visit, some more than once. I expect these friends will, too.


 

No comments: