Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Emergency Room

When ER first aired in 1994, I was hooked. For the first half of its run on NBC I was a loyal viewer. Terrific cast, attention grabbing and interesting, often heartbreaking stories. Each episode covers one day in the lives of the ER staff and its patients. Some threads pick up again in subsequent episodes, some end with the closing credits without us knowing how that particular case turned out. Somewhere in the late nineties I lost track of the show so now I'm happy to say that I found it streaming on Hulu and have been enjoying it immensely. Unlike some series that are twenty-plus years old, it holds up really well. I think that's true when the characters are people you become invested in and can't wait to return to see what happens next. Great writing in character-driven dramas with an ensemble cast is a winning combination, even when over the course of the run of the show original cast members depart and new ones take their place. I'm almost through the first season and have fourteen more to go. This should get me through the darkness of winter that remains.


 

No comments: