Wednesday, January 25, 2017

All is Well

Sadly, I have lost another friend on Facebook. For my political, feminist, all-inclusive beliefs. I messaged him to see what was up, and his reply was pretty angry. The thing is, I used to be pretty on-the-surface on social media. But over the last few months I realize that I don't care much about the surface shit. I'm interested in getting in deep and knowing what you're about. He isn't, and that's fine. I think I'm at a point in my life where I have no interest in wasting time and energy and effort on relationships that aren't meaningful. I like to get to the heart of the matter. I prefer the quiet company of a kindred soul to small talk. This was the message I sent in reply:

I'm not telling you how you should think, I'm communicating how I think. You are free to disagree or scroll on by. I don't judge, I just want to try to understand. I don't really care how you voted, but it's clear that we all have to live with the consequences of how the election turned out. For better or worse, we are all in this together. Normally I don't get into political stuff or religion here on social media. I save that for close friends and family. But like many, recent events have made me realize that the reason we are so divided is that we have kept quiet inside of our own comfortable little bubbles. I want the best for everyone, and that includes people who are marginalized. People who are of different colors, religious beliefs, and sexual orientations. We are all whole people, with dents and scars and stories and that's what I love about my friends. If all we were was friends on the surface, I want you to know that it meant more to me. I was a guest in your home when your daughter was a baby. You cooked a lovely dinner. I remember being at a loss and so scared when your wife was in that car accident. We were misbehaving cohorts at the-company-that-shall-not-be-named and we'll always have have the lovely bonding experience of being fired from there. Do what you must to keep your sanity. I wish you well.

No comments: