Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Unthinkable

It has happened. I didn't think it was possible, but there it is. I have met an Oktoberfest style beer that I don't much care for. And admittedly, I should have read the label and avoided this disappointment altogether. Ninkasi Brewing company did something unthinkable to the traditional flavor profile of an Oktoberfest beer. They hopped it up. Yes. I'm not fond of hop heavy beers in the first place, but I consider this alteration an abomination. The hops all but drown out the rich, malty flavor you would expect. Normally I pour an Oktoberfest into a glass because the aroma enhances the drinking experience. Not this time. The bouquet is a bit acrid so I'm drinking it straight from the bottle to spare my nose. I must say the label is quite pretty. I should have known there was something amiss when my neighborhood liquor store was sold out of all the other Oktoberfest brands and there were cases of Ninkasi stacked up in the front. Repeat after me. Life is too short to drink crappy beer. 


No comments: