Monday, August 13, 2012

Putting the Strange in Estrangement

Sometimes doing the math can be very revealing as to the validity and closeness of a relationship. Or just plain creepy. Or mildly weird. I realized that I haven't seen my father face to face in nineteen years. I haven't seen my father-in-law face to face for fifteen years. My FiL has a lock on a reason, he died fifteen years ago. My father? Just a no show. Ee-ess-tee, are-ay-en-gee, ee-emm-ee-enn-tee. Estrangement to the tune of the Mickey Mouse Club theme song. It's not a competition, I tell myself. But geez, dad, you're getting your butt kicked by a dead guy in the grandpa department.

4 comments:

Li's Sis said...

I thought dad was there in 1991 when we all converged at your house in Brookings? Nicolas was just shy of a year old.

Li's Sis said...

Never mind I just did the math :/

The Cranky said...

:-(

Bellona of Avalon said...

The truly sad thing is that he will never know how much he missed.