Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Diagnose This!

I'm going to stop random people on the street and ask them for a medical diagnosis. Just as a control group. I have now seen my fourth orthopedic doctor. And based on the same information, same test results, same medical history available to the previous three doctors, he has come up with a completely different opinion! This one says that I'm getting old and that I have arthritis in my thumbs based on his physical exam of my hands as well as the xrays of my hands from a year ago. Which is odd, because the doc under whose care the xrays were done said I have normal joint spacing. What happened to carpel tunnel? DeQuervain's? Soft tissue injury? Neurogenic pain? Doc #4 is of the opinion that my other symptoms are, and I quote, all in my head. Have no medical basis. That they're goofy. And that this doesn't exist, even though The Mayo Clinic thinks it does. So I guess if I just decide that the grinding and popping sensations, the constant itching and burning, the stiffness and trigger points and sensitive spots don't exist, I'll be all better. Why didn't I think of that! Oh, that's right. I forgot. I don't have a medical degree! How silly of me! Tomorrow I return to work with no limitations. I have a feeling this won't be pretty.

3 comments:

colleen said...

Oh dear, this isn't good news.

I'm almost afraid to ask "what now"?? If there's anyone who could make "mind over matter" work, it's you. And I don't suppose they'd let you work attached to a Patron IV.

If you need to talk, you know where to find me.

Bellona of Avalon said...

Big fat LIKE on the Patron IV!

I called you a few minutes ago but you didn't pick up. Coming into town today?

grins said...

Your profile cracked me up. Not lookin but were a lot alike. I have a thing called psuedo gout (has calcium crystals, not uric. Its not discriminate to gender and at times can totally disable me I guess its hard to diagnose. Ortho didn't catch it or rheumatoid DR My Gp finally did. Really attacks joints and there is no cure. Some time when your down look on my blog If you don't laugh we are probably married and don't know it.