Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mom's Stuff, Part I


As today's title indicates, this is the first of a series of related posts. If you figured that out before reading the previous sentence, you are pretty sharp. Probably sharper than moi at the moment. But I digress. In November Martine and I completed a monumental task. We went through our Mother's belongings and figured out what to do with them. The items that came home with me are finding places to be. It's taken some patience and quiet time for these things to tell me where they ought to be, so as this process progresses I'm sharing the results with you. Above is the dresser in my bedroom. After the clearing out of the Christmas decorations, I cleared this space completely, sending the fairy theme books and such to my office. This photo is a little blurry, photographing this space has proved difficult with all the glare off the glass in the frames. I'll tell you about the pictures in a later post when I get a clearer shot of them. But do take a look at the carnival glass bowl on top of the dresser.


I don't remember this bowl from when I was growing up, I think it probably passed to Mom from her mother. But I don't really remember it at Grandma's house, either. The bowl, with its iridescent glow and pressed floral pattern, is more gaudy than I normally like in decorative items. It has grown on me, though, over the last couple of months. I had it in my bathroom over Christmas filled with some live juniper greens. Very pretty and fragrant.


The interior of the bowl is just as pretty as the outside! I vow to not let it become a catch-all for stuff that might collect on my dresser, it's just too lovely for that. An added incentive to keep this area uncluttered is the fact that it is visible from the dining area as well as the living room. Tomorrow, we'll take a look at the framed photos above the dresser. I'm sure you can't wait!

No comments: