Friday, July 2, 2010

Lightening Strikes Twice


According to Sex and the City, each of us experiences two great loves. I'm not entirely sure that I agree with this theory of twos, but I like the idea. On a purely selfish level, this would mean there is another one on the way for me! On a more serious note, the two lovely ladies in the photo at left are a shining and positive example of the premise of pairs. They are the two loves of my brother Cullen's life. Pam, of the green eyes and red hair, was married to Cullen for nearly sixteen years. Until the day that he died just over a year ago, she was his love and partner in life. Sara, of the brown eyes and beautiful smile, was the first love of Cullen's life. They dated off and on during high school and college. When Cullen and Sara parted ways, I think I was nearly as heartbroken as they were. And Cullen, until he found Pam, seemed to just be biding his time. He had found his second great love, there could be no doubt to anyone who saw them together. Sara and Pam did not meet until six months after Cullen died. It seemed to me when I snapped this photo of them, that they were kindred spirits right down to their souls. Cullen had an enviable talent for making friends, a way of bringing people together. Even after he was gone this legacy continued. And this gives me hope. Sara is with the second love of her life. His name is Mark, and they have a beautiful daughter together. And even though it is nearly unthinkable to me, and probably even more so for Pam, according to the theory of two great loves, she is due one more. As much as I loved my brother, life is for the living, and he would be the last one to begrudge her that gift. I don't envy the man that might try to win Pam's heart, he has a tough act to follow. But as Pam says, life is long. I can only hope that there will be time for so many more good things.

1 comment:

Martine said...

Very sweet Carla.