Friday, July 30, 2010

For Sure, Don't Ya Know!

Around here, most of us suffer from a chronic case of Silly Voice Syndrome. I think that includes the cats, but I'm not entirely sure. The hallmark symptom of SVS is bursting into strange accents and dialects completely foreign from our standard midwest, extremely flat drawl. Particularly when quoting movies, video games, and people from somewhere other than here. SVS is not only in the air around here, it would seem to be genetic. Both of my sons suffer from it, as do their parents. I remember one of my proudest moments as a mother was overhearing the boys acting out the bridge scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail when they were just tots. I must admit to being a natural mimic, I have to be careful to not fall into the speech pattern of someone nearby lest they think I am mocking them. There are only two dialects I can claim from my heritage, Norwegian and several versions of the classic American Southern accent. I can do one heckuva Minnesota accent, I think it's a proximity factor as well as having attended college there. And then there are all those years listening to A Prairie Home Companion. I certainly can't claim the ability to speak any foreign languages, but I do have a talent for many schlocky accents. And I use the word talent loosely.

No comments: