Sunday, May 31, 2009

Lists and Lists of Lists

I have lists on the brain. Some are still in there while others have actually been committed to paper. Making them real rather than theoretical. The right half of my brain likes the theoretical lists while the left half of my brain prefers the written down in the real world lists. Or is that the other way around? I have a not very ambitious summer reading list consisting of three books.

Liberty, a novel by Garrison Keillor

Infinite Jest, a novel by David Foster Wallace

The Cosmic Landscape, String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design, nonfiction by Leonard Susskind

I started The Cosmic Landscape a month or so ago and I find it very interesting. But it's not a page-turner, more thought is required. Then, impulsively, for three bucks at Wal-Mart, I picked up Natalie Wood, A Life, by Gavin Lambert. I cannot put this book down. Normally I'm not all that interested in show biz biographies, but the fact that her life ended so young and so tragically, that she was in several movies that I love, and that she was just such an amazing actress from a very young age, I am completely caught up in the telling of her life story. I'll get back to string theory and the other stuff. My entire brain is presently occupied with Natalie.

5 comments:

Ed said...

Intelligent Design. So very hard to prove. Something may have gone wrong. Certainly doesn't show in "civilization".

Bellona of Avalon said...

Good point. If "God" was in charge, wouldn't (s)he have done a better job?

Ed said...

She would at the very least have provided a list. I am very, very sure of that.
"Poor" Shawn.

Bellona of Avalon said...

Ah, yes, the Shawn drama. You're closer to ground zero, am I way off base? Or do I finally have him figured out?

Ed said...

I can tell you this. I quit working for ASO due to Shawns' personality disorders.