Saturday, May 9, 2009

Lawn Mowing 101

You will be happy to hear that the first mowing of the lawn has been accomplished today. Anyone who says that mowing is not an aerobic activity has never had to pull the starter 483 times to get the mower going. Yes, I did check the oil and the gas levels prior to attempting startage of the blasted stubborn machine. Yes, I did push that little priming thingy a few dozen times as well. I imagine that I wouldn't be too quick to get moving if I had sat in the garden shed all winter. I am relatively new to lawn mowing, it's only three years since my first time. I grew up doing indoor activities while the male members of the family took care of the yard. After that I either enjoyed apartment living or had a husband who complained vociferously and profusely before, during and after mowing. Leaving me to feel grateful that I didn't have to be responsible for such a horrible, draining and difficult task. When he moved out and I inherited the dreaded mowing of the grass, I wondered if I was up to it! Was I smart enough? Strong enough? It was a piece of cake! I rotate mowing duties with the 16yo, now, like I did with the elder son before he moved out. And much like the laundry list of things I was mildly terrified to take over when I became single three years ago, things my former husband whined and fretted over, I have discovered that I am not only competent at them, I'm pretty darned capable. I even wrote a poem about it.


The Resiliency of The Grass

Three pulls
And the engine leaps to life
Isolated by the noise
And the softness of the turf
I am walled off from the world
Save for the breeze
And the bright green smell
The grass is resilient, patient, alive
She tolerates the sun and weather
Springs back from our footfalls
Creeps stealthily into the garden space
Survives this whirring blade of steel
That keeps her height in check
By midsummer I'll grow weary of this task
Yet remain grateful
That she shrugs off the winter
With such ease and confidence

4 comments:

Ed said...

That poem is good!

Bellona of Avalon said...

Thanks! Sometimes what I write in five minutes is so much better than what I struggle over for hours.

Tantra Flower said...

What a wonderful poem.

Sorry your lawnmower gave you such a fit. Have you found that mowing the lawn is one of those chores that you dread doing, but then (483 tugs aside, of course) quite enjoy once you get going and then you wonder why you dreaded it in the first place? Even when it sucks, it feels good to know that you are capable of doing it. Not that it isn't nice to have somebody do it for you, because it totally is, but it's nice to know that you can take care of your home all by yourself. I know it feels good to me anyway. Yay for us! We cannot be defeated!

Mac said...

When you own property, it’s easy to overlook how much work lawn care can be and it’s something that is not always factored into the routine maintenance. It’s easy to assume that you’ll have an area that requires little lawn maintenance.



lawn mowing Lynnfield ma