Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tooth Music

Last week my 15 year old son announced that he had auditioned for the high school talent show. I was surprised. Then he said that he made the cut and was going to appear in the show. Playing songs on his teeth. I was so proud. This remarkable musical ability of his would soon be showcased in a public forum. Yes, my most talented son can play songs on his teeth. He flicks his fingers at the underside of his upper teeth and moves his cheeks around to change notes. The weird thing is, he's really good at it. The songs aren't just recognizable, they are rather artfully rendered. So, earlier this evening, in the auditorium at the high school, nestled between acts of more mainstream talents, he played the Mario theme and The William Tell overture. On his teeth. It was a big hit. One of the student MC's called him back to center stage and requested the Zelda theme. He was a good sport and gave it a shot even though he hadn't practiced that tune. I was laughing so hard I couldn't hold the camera still enough to take a picture. He was dressed all in black from head to toe. He was cute and handsome at the same time. It's still curious to me that he is nearly six feet tall. I blinked at some point and he turned from a fat baby with three chins and biscuit-like dimpled fists into a tall, handsome, goofy young man who has the confidence to get up in front of a couple hundred people and proudly display this unique talent of his. And all I have to say about that is, that's my boy!!

No comments: