Friday, April 15, 2016

North Carolina's HB2



Yes, you are seeing this horrible meme here. No, it is not a sign of the apocalypse. Aside from the annoying plurals as possessives, the hateful, bigoted nature of the message caused me to take on the guise of Julia Sugarbaker and go on a bit of a rant. Lesson learned from yesterday about speaking up in the moment. To complicate matters, this is the most recent of many posts in a similar vein appearing in my Facebook feed that have been posted by a family member. The following is my response...


I have seen you posting memes of this sort for over a week. For the most part I am inclined to let others express their opinions how they choose and let it go. But as far as I'm concerned you have now crossed the line where this subject is concerned. Consider this me blasting you with my differing opinion since you have made yours quite clear. Aside from this law being impossible to enforce, it is discriminatory and divisive. Do you want cameras in ALL the stalls in ALL the public bathrooms invading YOUR privacy? Because, guess what! In order to be fair, EVERYONE gets a parts check under this law. Trans people aren't interested in gawking at your parts or your women's parts. The fact of the matter is that we are already sharing the bathrooms with transgender folks as they make an effort to transition by living as the opposite sex. It's likely that you couldn't pick them out anyway from just looking at them. Stop being so mean-spirited and have a little compassion. And be grateful you were born with parts that match your brain and psyche so you haven't suffered at the hands of others who think the way you do.

This is how he responded...

I don't understand why my compassion for my wife and child are somehow less valid than your concern for the HURT FEELINGS of a total stranger...I don't deny that they have a right to their actions...but if those actions hurt the ones I love, so be it

Me again...

No harm, no foul to your loved ones. Your wife and daughter are in greater danger from your average white adult male in any public place who wouldn't get caught dead in a women's bathroom than they are from any transgender person who is peeing in the next private stall. This law is bigotry, pure and simple.

I posted this most recent reply over an hour ago and there has been no response. I think what aggravates me the most is his paternalistic bent toward protecting his wife and daughter. I'm pretty sure his wife is capable enough to deal with such things. And I hope they are raising their daughter to be assertive and confident so she doesn't grow up to be a passive princess requiring rescue. Because when she does need to be rescued it's likely daddy won't be there. Give her the tools to be strong so she can take care of herself. She doesn't need protection from the trans person peeing in the next stall. 


No comments: