Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Reflections on Yesterday

All I really wanted was to get well and return to work. I liked my job. I felt appreciated for my contributions. My daily activities included a mix of  both routine and challenging tasks. For the most part I enjoyed the company of my coworkers. But after surgery and months of physical therapy I could no longer do my job. I was in constant pain and my hands never returned to their pre-injury, pre-repetitive-motion-compromised condition. I was subsequently dismissed from the job I had expertly and faithfully performed for six years. I was damaged and deemed disposable. So I hired a lawyer and sued my former employer. The past four years have been frustrating, demoralizing, and educational. As many times as I wanted to drop the whole business and walk away, my resolve hardened and I continued. I refused to go quietly. Finally, yesterday brought closure to this long and difficult chapter of my life. The lawsuit was settled through mediation. I am so very grateful to the friends and family who supported me along the way on this most difficult journey. The dollars I was awarded will not set me up for an easy life of leisure nor will they make my pain go away. But it's done, it was worth the fight, and I feel a sense of relief and closure. I'm ready to let this all go and leave it in the past. The next chapter awaits and I look forward to what it brings with optimism and enthusiasm. 

No comments: