Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Christine Miserandino Knows Your Pain

And my pain, probably yours, too. She lives with lupus and describes her journey here. She came up with this very clever idea of how to express the amount of energy she can apply to tasks in any given day given the limiting nature of her disease. My physical therapist and I came up with a way to keep me from overdoing but we unimaginatively used a point system. I don't know about you, but I'm converting to the spoon-based economy as of now. The chronic pain I live with is neurological in nature but spoons apply to all sorts of ouchies. If you are acquainted with another human who experiences pain on an unrelentingly regular basis, read this for insight into their world. If you are one of these people, the list will resonate with you on many levels and validate your, well, pain and its attendant effect on your existence. And on days you feel whiny, just count your spoons and try to be grateful.

No comments: